9.30.2006

Homecoming 2006

I just came back from chaperoning my first homecoming dance.

And I had a blast.

It was so much fun to see my students in their formal gowns and dress shirts. So adorable! Everybody looked so classy, and they were all so happy to be there. I couldn't believe how many students showed up, either! I got a couple hugs from the girls, and some high-fives from the guys. I also got "danced at" by a couple boys as I was making the rounds. How amusing.

The only problems I had to deal with were a crying girl (she was upset about her date not showing up but fine five minutes later once she found her friends) and a girl who danced into a table and cut her leg open. Oh, and there was the dilemma of badly wanting to get out on the dancefloor but feeling like that would be weird and inappropriate.

Hey, DJs are paid to play awful songs with catchy beats that force you to want to dance, whether you like the songs or not. This guy was doing his job well.

I resigned myself to subtly tapping my feet and nodding my head every once in a while. But it was so hard not to dance...

However, I made up for it by singing at the top of my lungs and furiously "seat dancing" during the entire ride back home.

When we were cleaning up after the dance, one of my AP students asked, "So, did this remind you of when you were in high school?"

When I was in high school? How old do you think I am, young man?

I told him that I didn't go to dances in high school, since they weren't well-attended at my school. Then I told him, "Honestly, I really wanted to dance tonight, but I didn't think I should, since I'm a teacher."

"Oh man! You should have told me! I would have danced with you."

Awwww. *giggle*

My co-op said I'm welcome to chaperone the prom in the spring. I'll have graduated and hopefully gotten a job by then, but I'm already scheming to be there and surprise my students. I think that would be a ton of fun.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Jess Bird-Bellis said...

*squeal* you're so freakin' cute! it's so much fun to think about you doing teacherly things! i love it! :) hehe



i can't freaking wait to see you, by the way! it's been too bloody long!!! (i guess it's things like this that make people think you're my "roommate" hehe)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home