Mmm... soup.
I plan to write a lot more about cooking and food in this new blog, since cooking has become a pretty big part of my life in recent months. Below is a recipe I made earlier this week... it's for a vegetable soup called "gypsy pot." I found the original recipe on TravelersLunchbox, but below is my modified recipe.
Olla Gitana (Gypsy Pot)
Serves: 4-6
- 2-14 oz cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 handfuls of baby carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 32-ounce cartons of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 10 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 small slightly underripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and paprika and stir for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes and a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid and cook until the tomatoes soften and reduce, about 7 minutes. Gently stir the tomato mixture into the pot with the chickpeas and vegetables.
3. Continue cooking until all the vegetables are very soft and the squash is almost falling apart, 5-7 minutes longer, adding more broth if the stew seems too thick. Add the thyme and vinegar to the pot. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, pepper and/or vinegar if necessary. Let the stew cool for about 10 minutes and then serve.
I served it with cheese Texas toast on the side. The soup was AWESOME. I like the fact that it doesn't call for a lot of seasoning, because then the vegetables make the soup taste really earthy and fresh. It would be great to make on a cold winter day, I'm sure. It was a lot of work, but I'll definitely be making it again.
Labels: recipes, vegan, vegetarian
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home