10.05.2006

Oculus bizarrus

Yesterday I was watching TV before dinner (Food Network, of course), and I felt like there was a glare on the right side of my face. I couldn't see clearly out of my right eye, but I figured it was the sun hitting the TV and reflecting back on my face. When I got up for dinner, I had the feeling of coming inside from a bright day and not being able to see for a few seconds while the eyes adjust -- only just in my right eye. Sitting at the dinner table, I couldn't see my right hand on my placemat. It's like it just wasn't there. It was really freaky.

Then I started seeing bright, wavy lines in my peripheral vision on the right side. They were shimmery and fluid, like smoke or static on a television. Eventually the lines expanded so that I could see only out of the inside corner of my right eye. By that point, my mom figured out that I was having an ocular migraine, which is something she experienced about a year ago. She said there's no cure for them, but they don't last long. After about 15 minutes, I could see clearly again.

I'm so glad that a) I wasn't by myself, b) my mom knew what was going on, and c) I wasn't driving. If I had been alone or on the road, I think I would have been really scared. I looked up ocular migraines online, and I found out they can be triggered by anything from caffeine to hormonal changes. Sometimes they signal an oncoming headache, and sometimes they don't mean anything. I did get a really bad sinus headache shortly afterwards, so they must have been linked. We also had a severe thunderstorm last night, so the eye thing and the headache were probably related to weather patterns.

It was SOOO strange though. I felt out of it even after it went away. I wish I could have somehow taken a picture of what things looked like while it was going on. Dad said I should have listened to Sgt. Pepper's to complete the experience, haha.

That's it. Just wanted to tell you about my ocular migraine. Now if it happens to any of you, you'll know what it is instead of thinking aliens are taking over your brain or something.

REALLY weird.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get those from time to time. With mine, everything in my eyeline shifts 90 degrees. It's like being in an old Batman episode when it goes BAM! POW! KERPLOOEY!

Haute Chocolate Monday! Woot!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Sara Habein said...

Weird! I hadn't heard of those before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home