12.18.2006

Update, dammit! Update!

Wow, the past couple days have been crazy. Crazy, I tells ya!

I had two interviews last week. One was for a local district with a position open to replace a pregnant teacher in January. It was a horrible interview. The interviewers did nothing to make me feel comfortable; they gave one rapid-fire question after another, didn't make eye contact with me as I was answering, and basically gave no acknowledgement that they were listening to me. It was VERY awkward and not an experience I'd like to repeat anytime soon. The more I think about it, I probably wouldn't have wanted that job anyway. It was block scheduling, which is something I've never experienced myself, and it was all senior courses. Even though I taught seniors during my student teaching, I still don't think I'd want to start out teaching only seniors at just 23 years old. The job was also supposed to start right away, since the teacher went into the hospital much sooner than planned. Oh well.

On Thursday I had my second interview at the school where I did my student teaching. I kicked butt, I have to say. When I walked in, the superintendent said, "You seem really relaxed and confident. That's exactly what we want -- we want you to be as comfortable as possible." And man, did that make a difference. When I felt comfortable, I was able to talk about much more intelligent things. At the scary interview, I could barely remember anything I'd done because I was so nervous! So for all you interviewers out there: be nice to your interviewees. It makes a big difference!

Friday was my last day of student teaching, and I prepped myself by getting out the waterproof mascara, haha. It was a tough day. It was really nice though. Three of my five classes brought in food, and so I spent most of the day either eating or just sitting around and chatting with my students. Three of my girls gave me their senior pictures, and I got a chocolate bar from one couple. I also got some cards, and my co-op teacher passed around a big card for everybody to sign. I know that's something I'm going to treasure for a long time. My students wrote such sweet things, and so many of them said things like, "see you next month when you get the job here!" That's so nice, but it also gets my hopes up, and I'm afraid to do that. I took some fun pictures with seventh period, which was my class from the beginning. Some of my kids also gave me their cell phone numbers in the card, which was adorable but will sooo not happen, haha.

Today was tough because it was the first morning in months that I didn't get up and go to school to teach. *sigh* I really miss my students. I was so lucky to have met so many interesting, lively, and absolutely hilarious young people in the past 16 weeks. I'm incredibly lucky. I know I will meet other amazing students in years to come, but I can't help but think my first class will always be the closest to my heart.

On Saturday I met Amberrr at King of Prussia, which was a fun time. I bought a grey lined skirt, a red sweater, and pretty brown slacks for teaching, all for $42! Go me. Ooh, and I had the most amazing salad at California Pizza Kitchen. After weeks of eating frozen or boxed meals to help my mom clean out the freezer, a fresh and delicious salad was quite a welcome thing!

Yesterday I thought I was meeting my aunt for lunch to celebrate my graduation. I got to the restaurant 15 minutes early, so I called Jess to say hi and kill some time. I was wondering why she was being so short with me, but I just figured she was cranky. So my aunt arrived and we walked into the restaurant, where she said, "Oh, I see us over there." "Us?" I thought and then saw my mom and one of my other aunts across the room. Then I noticed my grandmother... and my sister... and Laura! And then Jess walked in right behind us! The poor girl -- she was lost on the way to the place and trying to figure out how the hell to get me off the phone so she could call someone for directions! Leave it up to me to be naive and distracting. Lunch was a ton of fun. I've been feeling depressed lately, and that completely cheered me up. My family and friends are the absolute best. :-)

Tonight I'm baking cookies to keep my mind off waiting to hear about a job. I'm trying to not get my hopes up, BUT I REALLY FREAKING WANT THAT JOB!! *ahem*

Updates will come as soon as I have them!

1 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interviewing SUCKS. I had a fantastic interview like a week and a half ago and felt so good and confident and excited about the job, but I didn't get it. :*-( Apparently they loved me as a person and really wanted to hire me, but someone else did better on the stupid "editing test." So I'm still unemployed. And if you are too, you are more than welcome to come visit me in NYC and we can discuss how much being unemployed sucks! Altho you'd better come soon, 'cause I doubt you'll be unemployed for long, Miss Super Teacher! ;-)

BTW, the really crappy interview you had didn't happen to be at my alma mater, did it? 'Cause that totally wouldn't surprise me....

Happy Holidays!
Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home