11.19.2006

Greek vegetable soup

I made this for dinner tonight and though I'd share the recipe since it turned out so well.

Greek vegetable soup
Serves: 4-6
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1 c chopped onion or leek [I used frozen onion]
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 5 c water
  • 2 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 3/4 c orzo [I actually used elbow macaroni because I didn't have orzo]
  • 4-6 oz fresh spinach [I used bagged baby spinach]
  • 3 T dried dill or parsley [I used a combination of both]
  • Juice of one lemon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Saute the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-8 minutes.
3. Add the water, bouillon cubes, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta.
5. Add the spinach, herbs, lemon juice, pasta, and salt and pepper and serve immediately.

As I said, this turned out really well. It was a nice alternative to vegetable soup. The lemon and dill made it really fresh, and it's really quite healthy! I served it with rye toast on the side. Mmm. Good stuff.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home