Should I have been insulted or just confused?
I just got back from an interview to be a substitute teacher in a local district. The principal's "thousand dollar question," as he called it, was, "Given that there are so many more job options for women nowadays, why did you pick the more traditional role of teacher?"
4 Comments:
um, that just doesn't seem right to me. Who asks that?! haha
~Holly~
Yeah, I'd be a little insulted. Probably would have responded with "I have a strong desire to teach children because... [whatever your reasons], but I believe my reasoning is completely independent of my gender."
Or something like that. Weird.
I just sort of blinked and then said, "Well, to be honest, I hadn't considered my career choice from a feminist perspective..." and then talked about why I want to be a teacher. I know that's what he was getting at, but it was a stupid way to introduce the idea.
I briefly thought about answering with, "Well, I considered the traditional roles of laundress and harlot as well, but then I decided education has better job security for when I make the move to popping out babies and baking bread all day." ;-)
Um.
W.
T.
F.
???
Post a Comment
<< Home